*Note, although I am an RN, and while some of my advice is based on research, these are strictly my opinions. And although I am endorsing specific brands of baby products, I am not paid or compensated by these companies. (Man, this all sounds so official)
PRE-BABY CHECKLIST
1) Nursery
~Obviously, you are going to start on your nursery. But no fears if you don't complete it by the time baby comes. I am STILL working on both of my children's rooms.
*Cribs...make sure there is NO side that drops down. You want a firm mattress as well. I do use bumper pads but I believe the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) advises against the use of bumper pads. You can buy breathable bumper pads if you'd like something in there so your baby doesn't bump his/her head. I'd advise getting 2 or 3 crib sheets, as well as a sheet saver for your mattress pad.
*Diaper pails...take 'em or leave 'em. You'll go through so many diapers, that it's just as easy to re-use your plastic grocery sacks and fill those up with diapers.
*Changing pad and cover...you'll use this multiple times a day
*Summer video monitor...love! Fun to use, but not a necessity
*Sound machine for baby's room
*Black-out curtains...not only do they block light, but they help with heating & cooling
Jenny Lind Crib. Easy to assemble, basic, simple. Love
2) Sterilize Bottles
~For some reason, I'm always straggling home from the hospital, post-delivery, and boiling and sterilizing my baby's bottles. I wish I had done it beforehand each go around. So my advice, sterilize ahead of time. You may not know what kind of bottle your baby will take, so you could try several different bottles. Another great product is the Medela Quick Steam bags. It's great to have these after the initial sterilization.
This is my favorite bottle drying rack, ordered off of Amazon.com
I personally use the Born Free bottles, both glass and plastic.
3) Packing list for hospital
~Sound machine...helps diminish the many hospital noises and allows for "better" sleep in hospital
~Toiletries, hair dryer (which I never use...too lazy to do in hospital), make-up, toothbrush, etc.
~Camera, fully charged
~Cell phones, fully charged
~Going home outfit for you, for baby. Honestly, I am so ready to get OUT of the hospital, that I have never had some special outfit. But many people like to take going home pics. I, for one, rush straight into my own shower at home and wash off all hospital germs, then wash baby and all hospital germs. *Note, Expect to be about 6 months pregnant-looking/feeling when you leave the hospital. AKA, bring maternity clothes with you. So grateful my sister-in-law told me that. Also, bring looser fitting shoes in case you swell post-delivery from IV fluids/anesthesia, etc.
~Nursing tanks/bras. These Gilligan O'Malley tanks from Target are simply the best, and it's so nice to wear under cardigans and other shirts and still be covered when you're nursing.
~Nursing pads. If you forget you can ask your nurse in hospital for some. I personally like the Lansinoh disposable nursing pads from Amazon.com. I've also found these can help with sensitivity when you're first beginning nursing.
~Lansinoh ointment. One tube should suffice, and you can get a smaller size in hospital if you forget. Both this item and above item I'm always ordering last minute from Amazon. When will I learn to plan ahead?! Next child??
~Pump. If you plan on breastfeeding, have your pump ready, assembled, parts sterilized, etc. (Read directions on what you can actually sterilize and what you are NOT supposed to get wet.) Many women will bring their pumps to the hospital and if they need help or have questions, they will ask their post-partum or lactation nurse. Your hospital room should also have a pump available for you. When buying a pump, buy name brand. Usually if it's a dirt cheap pump, there is a reason, and you are wasting your money and could potentially be causing yourself a great deal of physical pain. At my hospital, we recommend Medela Pump In Style. (Note, It is highly discouraged to share personal pumps, as there is no way to fully clean the pump. If you do share, please please please make sure you get all new tubing.) If you are unsure if you will pump, a great option is to rent the hospital grade pump from your hospital. It's an affordable way to use the "Cadillac" of all pumps, and you can see if you can establish a milk supply before buying your own pricey pump.
~If you are not planning on breastfeeding or pumping, I would not advise buying formula ahead of time, or at least buy limited quantities but don't open it in case you need to take it back. You can get formula in the hospital, and you'll need to see what specific formula your baby tolerates.
~Outfits for baby, hats, warm blankets. Babies are notorious for pooping on and spitting up on outfits, so have several. Babies typically grow quickly, so you will only need about 3-4 newborn outfits/gowns, and then you'll quickly be dressing them in 0-3 month outfits, etc.
~Outfits for you (and pack for your husband too if he hasn't packed :)...old pairs of larger sized underwear, cute PJ's (although I usually wore the hospital gown for comfort and ease of feeding, and I put a lightweight robe over the gown; you'll most likely be hot post-delivery so lightweight cotton is best); slippers, a couple of outfits to wear. But like I stated earlier, you'll mainly be in bed, visiting with friends and family and resting as much as you can. Think COMFORT.
~Door hanger for outside your door. Have a family member or friend bring this up to the hospital once baby is born. One less thing for your hubby to bring in to the hospital.
~Car seat. Doesn't matter what state you live in, whether you own a car or not. Everyone MUST have a car seat in order to leave the hospital. If it's used, make sure it is not more than 5 years old, is in great condition, and has never been in a wreck. I recommend calling your local fire department and getting them to install it for free. Not only will they do it amazingly correct, but they will tell you good tips about safety with car seats. I actually learned a great deal.
~Diaper bag...have this be your suitcase for baby items
4) Animals
~If you have pets, arrange ahead of time for someone to take care of them. While you may think that your husband or significant other will easily dash home to check on animals and the house, it's alot easier said than done. You, new mama, will be needing alot of help, and daddies are great at changing diapers, handing you the baby, being the "bouncer" at the door for your many visitors, be they hospital employees, family, friends. So arrange for someone to check on your animals just in case daddy doesn't make it home as easily as he would like.
5) Attend prenatal classes
~While my lucky hubby got to bypass all prenatal classes because I worked for years at the hospital where I delivered, so he already knew his way around, I do recommend signing up for all the classes your hospital offers. They really are great. It helps for dads to know their way around the hospital, it helps for them to know what to expect in breastfeeding, in labor, in post-delivery days. So don't follow my example of not going, and attend your classes!
6) Take full advantage of your nesting instincts
~Many women experience a "nesting" urge in their second trimester, when they have more energy, and then in the few weeks before delivery in their third trimester. Take FULL advantage of these motherly nesting instincts and energy boosts. Cook all you can and store in freezer, as you will not feel like cooking for about the first 6 weeks after baby comes. Clean your house top to bottom, without overdoing it and going into early labor!, as this is the cleanest your house will be for a while. Take advantage of "spring cleaning" and organize closets, donate clothes you haven't worn since junior high, clean out that closet you've been avoiding the past 5 years. Finish any and all projects you have had lined up, because those will be put on the back burner post-baby.
7) Finish up your registry
~While you will probably still be getting gifts after you have the baby, especially if the gender is a surprise at delivery, it still is good to "clean up" your registry. Hold on to your diapers, unopened, in case you need to return sizes. (For instance, you'll need one or two packages of newborn sized diapers, and then you'll quickly move onto size 1 diapers. You'll stay in size 2 a little longer. It all depends on how quickly your baby is growing.) Go ahead and return multiples of items you may have received. You more than likely will not need 8 bath towels, so return all but 2 or 3 and use that store credit to purchase baby wash, lotion, diaper ointment, diapers, etc. Also, catch up on your thank you notes from showers and try to knock those out before delivery.
8) Don't forget
~Might be best to get these items ahead of time:
a) Q-tips and rubbing alcohol...to wipe the baby's cord
b) Pads, thick and thin...TMI, I know, but no matter how that baby is delivered, you will need pads/pantiliners for a few weeks after delivery.
c) Arrange for a friend/family member to put a blue or pink ribbon on your front door or mailbox once baby is here. I always forget this and someone usually graciously does it for me.
d) Make sure a friend is setting up a meal plan for you (takethemameal.com is a great and free site). Our church Sunday school does it for all of our moms, and it's wonderful to have meals.
e) Draft a mass email or text with your fun baby announcement that baby is here with name, date of birth, time of birth, weight, length, possibly room information in case of visitors. This has helped, because in the excitement and chaotic frenzy after delivery, it's easy to forget to notify friends and extended family. Once you've drafted this, it's easy to fill in the blanks and click "send." (Unless, of course, your hospital's internet was slow and the file was too big, and you thought you sent it to friends, but realize a few weeks later the email never sent. Sorry to EVERYONE that you missed the crazy delivery story and birth of our sweet Ellie.)
f) Baby Tylenol...good to have for later on down the road
g) Ibuprofen for mom (if you're allowed to take it)...most recommended pain reliever post-delivery
9) Baby Items
~By no means are these baby items a necessity...just fun to have and very convenient
a) Baby Swing
b) Baby Carriers
Below is the Ergo carrier. We don't have one but know of many people who use it and love it.
Moby Wrap, below. I love it, as it's more comfortable for my back. Can be tricky to learn how to use it at first, but it comes with a great tutorial.
Above is Baby Bjorn. Great for moms or dads. I use it often second time around when running errands with both kids and needing more free space in the shopping cart (Ellie in Bjorn, Jackson in front seat of shopping cart).
There are so many baby carriers to choose from. Read reviews, talk to friends, do what's best for you.
c) Bouncy Seat
A convenient and safe place to set your baby down.
d) Strollers.
Oh where to begin, there are so many. A jogging stroller and an easy-fold-up umbrella stroller are the two you'd really need.
e) Boon Spoon
f) Beaba
Awesome and super convenient for making your own baby food.
g) Pack-n-Play
Great for taking to grandma's house or vacation
h) Exersaucer
Great visual stimulation for baby, good exercise for their legs and torso, and an easy and safe place to set them while you cook dinner (I usually use it when my babies are around 4 months old)
i) Play mat
Great visual stimulation, good for tummy time as well
j) Doorway jumper
Great exercise. We used this all the time starting when Jackson was around 6 months old until about age 1.
Whew, this is an exhaustive list, and if you've made it this far in this post, way to go! Happy baby planning. I'm off to enjoy this beautiful weekend. "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!"






















No comments:
Post a Comment