Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea Dip


picture courtesy of
The Pioneer Woman

I love trying out new recipes, and a sweet friend of mine emailed this to me a month or so ago. This recipe came to mind today as I was perusing my pantry, and I realized I had all the ingredients to make this yummy dip. (and it's much healthier than my other black-eyed pea dip)

Katie Dugger is the one who submitted this Pioneer Woman recipe to me, and I've had the privilege to mentor her and to also become close friends with her over the years. I truly consider her like a little sister to me, and now a babysitter! (as she does her preceptorship for nursing in Birmingham) Her fiancee, Mark, is going to be one of the best-fed husbands this side of the Mason-Dixon line, as Katie is a fabulous cook. So keep the recipes coming!!

Black-Eyed Pea Dip
from The Pioneer Woman's blog; submitted to me by Katie Dugger :)

1 can (14-ounce) Can Black-eyed Peas
1/4 whole Onion, Chopped Fine
1/4 cup Sour Cream
8 slices Jarred Jalapenos
1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
3 Tablespoons Salsa
Hot Sauce, to taste
Salt And Black Pepper To Taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain black-eyed peas and partially mash, leaving some whole.

Add all other ingredients, stirring to combine.

Spread into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Serve with tortilla chips!

*Note: if you have them available, you can use the canned black-eyed peas and jalapenos (they're canned together.) If you do this, you can omit the extra jalapenos.

**Another note: I omitted the jalapenos from mine, partly because I'm not a huge fan of spicy foods; and maybe I couldn't open the jar that my strong husband closed the other day. :) You can tell I'm NOT the jalapeno fan in the family.

1 comment:

  1. Emily ~ I am making this for our church retreat this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete