I have some beautiful silver sage Restoration Hardware Thai Silk curtains gracing my dining room right now.
I love them. We bought them on sale (even better...), they first graced our master bedroom in our first home, and now they liven up our dining room.
However, whoever created Restoration Hardware Thai Silk Curtains obviously did not have the grimy hands of toddlers in mind. (That can also go to say that whoever buys silk curtains is not thinking of cute toddler hands.)
Thus, my recent revelation that these curtains need to migrate back to a grown-up bedroom, and we need to get a kid-friendly set of curtains in our house. I don't want to have to worry about curtains or reprimand little hands for wiping dog bowl water all over expensive curtains. (Yes, you heard me right. Jackson, when he's in a feisty mood, will play in Tucker's dog bowl, bring wet hands to mouth and lick them, then run and giggle to the curtains while I chase him with a dish towel to wipe said wet hands, usually hunting him down in the midst of yards and yards of Thai Silk curtains, following the sweet little giggles.)
These drapes were my inspiration. I love these burlap Ballard Designs drapes almost as much as my Restoration Hardware drapes. Then I started "pinning" and found many inspirations to make your own burlap drapes at a more budget-friendly price.
So, here is my attempt, copied from this site.
I found the standard tan burlap at Jo-Ann's on sale for $2.99/yard, so I bought 12 yards of it, estimating for 8 feet per panel (and needing 4 panels). I have other fun ideas planned for the extra burlap fabric.
I also found the Stitch Wichery half off at Jo-Ann's.
Here's how my day went down at Jo-Ann's. Imagine, pregnant lady with no make-up, very short hair in a teeny pony tail (yes, I got over 5 inches cut off with multiple short layers and can barely pull it in a ponytail), with a cute little 18 month old in the buggy. Here's the conversation that ensued with the disgruntled fabric cutting lady there.
Me: I'd like 12 yards of this burlap please.
Disgruntled employee (DE): Let me see if we have another bolt already opened.
Proceeds to bring a burlap of a slight different tan, verified by myself and yet another employee. I kindly asked for the burlap I had brought over.
DE: (muttering under breath but very audible for me to hear) Looks like the same color to me!
(You get the picture. I realize she's ticked. But she repeats several times to justify her own opinion and to attempt to prove me wrong. And... I'm the ONLY customer at the counter, so it's not like I'm holding up a line or anything.)
DE: What you going to do with this?
Me: Make curtains
DE: Mmmm, people doing the weirdest things with this. I don't get it. I'd never want this in my house. Eww, the smell.
(And on and on and on) I tried to explain about Ballard Designs, and she's still rambling, sometimes muttering incoherent paragraphs and at other times rambling about who knows what. I honestly couldn't keep up with all she was saying. And, I'm starting to slightly doubt my decision to make my own curtains and wondering why I just didn't go through Ballard, and maybe I should forget this, and will my house now reek of burlap???
Then DE found out they were going in MY house, and she was quiet.
I kindly thanked her and proceeded to wander around the store, all the while wondering if I'm crazy to attempt this project.
Then, a very classy grandmother stopped me, pointed to my burlap, and said, "I absolutely love this! Where did you find this burlap in the store?" Whew, sigh of relief. Classy lady knew of the burlap rave hitting up stores, and she was thrilled I was making curtains.
This is no slam against Jo-Ann's at all, as I shop there often and love the store. I could wander the aisles for hours. I just happened to catch Disgruntled Employee at an off time, and my attempts at educating her on the latest trends were simply futile.
All that to say, my house does NOT smell of burlap (which is a powerful statement for a pregnant women with a highly sensitive sense of smell to say), and the curtains were as easy as the blog claimed, and I'm perfectly content with my kid-friendly yet grown-up curtains.
I made these drapes for around $10 per panel. Score! (I already had the rods up, but I did have to go buy clips for the drapes from Home Depot. But I'm not counting that added cost to these curtains. But if I had to be precise and include the clips in the panel price, then these panels were about $18 each. I'd say that's still awesome, considering I was about to spend $140 for 4 panels from Ballard Designs!)
This morning, Andy hung these curtain rods I bought for a really inexpensive price at Target, now gracing our master bedroom.
(Bottom two pictures are not excellent shots, but you get the idea. And yes, my bed is stripped bare because I'm washing sheets now. Whew, if this is nesting, and I'm only halfway through my pregnancy, I could get alot done to my house!)
One funny note about making these curtains...I can't cut in a straight line. I don't know what my problem is when I'm cutting fabric, but I can't do it. So I had a little bit more trouble trying to get my burlap even. So don't look too closely if you come visit my house. I was cracking myself up at my inability to cut straight across. Practice makes perfect? Maybe?
Also, Jo-Ann carries burlap in a beautiful white ivory color, which I seriously contemplated (and then I remembered cute but grimy toddler hands). They also have a pretty chocolate brown color, but I thought that might look a little dark in our dining room. I do love how the burlap allows some sunlight to peek through, more than my lined silk curtains did, so I'm hoping our dining room will look a little brighter now.
Please pass on any and all ideas for my leftover burlap! I've contemplated making a fun burlap pillow (but nervous about it spreading burlap particles all over my white bedspread), burlap bed skirt (but I'd need to go buy more burlap as I only have about 3 yards left), burlap shower curtain, etc. I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Sunday, August 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Great idea Em! Sorry about the DE, never fun. I've seen some cute door hangers made from burlap. (i.e. a pumpkin) You cut the burlap into the shape you want and then just add a little stuffing and sew it up. Then, you can paint it. Check out etsy and pintrest for some samples.
ReplyDeleteOoh, good idea! I've seen those and thought they're adorable. Thanks for inspiring me to look into actually making them!
DeleteEm - they look great - we have burlap curtains in our living room & dining room - so know that you are not alone and the smell does go away. :)
ReplyDeleteThey look fantastic, and I loooove that burlap, too! I did a burlap runner for each of the girls' bdays- super simple, not bound or anything. But I embroidered their monogram on two squares of fun fabric and sewed one to each end of that same $2.99/yd burlap from Joanns for a easy little birthday runner to pull out each year. AND I totally agree that burlap is SOOO hard to cut in a straight line!!!!
ReplyDeleteEmily,
ReplyDeleteHave you thought about using burlap to make a wreath for your front door? Would be really cute for Fall, especially. You can add anything to it....flowers, leaves, etc.