We opted out of going to the Auburn vs. Ole Miss game today and decided to stay home, hang out as a family, and get things done around the house. As of 2 hours ago, here's our game-day menu we whipped up in no time:
1) Appetizer: (wondering what to do with the leftover black-eyed peas that you froze from the black-eyed pea hummus from 2 posts ago?)
Black-Eyed Pea Dip
1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas (or your extra ones you cooked in the crockpot for hummus)
1 tsp seasoned salt (we just use regular salt)
2 Tbsp minced onion
1 Tbsp dice jalapeno pepper
1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 (3 oz) can deviled ham
3 oz grated mozzarella cheese
(If using peas from can)...cook peas 2 minutes, and drain. Lightly mash peas, and mix with salt and next 6 ingredients. Pour into a 9-inch round baking dish, and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve warm.
**This is from "Food for Thought" Junior League cookbook, and it's always a crowd pleaser
2) Dinner: Pork Tenderloin---Andy put a great meat rub on it and grilled the tenderloin
(Vegetables?? I heated some up that I had in the freezer, but I may or may not have opted out of them for the next food item...)
3) Dessert: Easy Skillet Apple Pie
I've been wanting to make this from the September 2011 Southern Living magazine. So while baby boy was sleeping, I start peeling and coring apples! And it truly is easy and oh-so-delicious. We topped ours with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. Delish! (Do I sound like Rachael Ray or what?)

Easy Skillet Apple Pie
Recipe here
2 lb Granny Smith apples
2 lb Braeburn apples (I used Gala because it's what I had)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (but next time I may use a little less)
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 (14.1-oz) package refrigerated piecrusts
1 egg white
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss apples with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and place 1 piecrust in skillet over brown sugar mixture. Spoon apple mixture over piecrust, and top with remaining piecrust. Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of piecrust with egg white; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp granulated sugar. Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
(Note, I did not do the egg white and sugar. I cheated, took the short cut, and instead sprayed with Pam. Ha! But it turned out fine.)
I have made my own piecrusts before, and while they taste great, you can't beat the time you save on refrigerated piecrusts.
Enjoy!
C'est l'Halloween!


No comments:
Post a Comment