In college, I read "Keep A Quiet Heart" by Elisabeth Elliot. My friend, Jenny Camp, recently encouraged me to pick it up again, as she told me there is wisdom for mothers at the end of the book. So, I heeded her advice and re-started it this morning. O my, can I tell you I've underlined virtually every paragraph in the introduction and the first chapter.
For those of you who don't know who Elisabeth Elliot is, I consider her my "spiritual mother." She is such an amazing, godly woman. Her first husband, Jim Elliot, was a missionary to the Aucan Indians in South America. He was killed by the Indians, and his wife, Elisabeth, went back to that tribe with her toddler-aged daughter and brought the entire tribe to know Christ as their Lord and Savior. You can see the amazing movie, "End of the Spear," for further details into this amazing story (here's the synopsis of the movie: "End of the Spear" is the story of Mincayani, a Waodani tribesman from the jungles of Ecuador. When five young missionaries, among them Jim Elliot and Nate Saint, are speared to death by the Waodani in 1956, a series of events unfold to change the lives of not only the slain missionaries' families, but also Mincayani and his people. Written by Anonymous
The true story of a group of Christian missionaries in Ecuador who set out to reach the Wadani tribe (a violent Ecuadorian tribe defined by revenge killing). When the 5 men from this group are speared to death by Mincayani and others in the tribe (who believe all foreigners are cannibals), the wives and children of those men move into the Wadani tribe to teach them about God. End of the Spear is an amazing story of Truth, Love, and Forgiveness.)
Back to my previous train of thought. Elisabeth Elliot wrote this prayer when she attended Wheaton College in 1947. This was and still is her heart's desire, and I found such great encouragement and strength in her words this morning:
Lord, give me a quiet heart
That does not ask to understand,
But confident steps forward in
The darkness guided by Thy hand.
I know, random baby picture, but blogs are always more fun with pictures :)
Have a blessed day!


No comments:
Post a Comment