Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sewing


Here's my latest attempt at sewing and doing my own applique on a t-shirt.  I thought it turned out cute (but see my further thoughts below.  And I haven't tried it on Jackson yet since he's sleeping and I just now finished it).


Thanks to Alicia's blog and inspiration,  and the tutorial on this blog for how to hand applique, I whipped up this whale applique in no time.  Because I accidently bought the wrong bonding (I got Heat N Bond instead of Heat N Bond Lite), I couldn't stitch it.  But this just cut down on my time in making it, and I still like the way it turned out.


I have heard that shorts are the easiest thing to make.  Well, after some much trial and error, here is an attempt at a creation without a pattern.  This is the tutorial I used, and Dana has lots of great step-by-step instructions and other tips on her blog.  But my favorite blog is Cool People Sew, and Jama has a great tutorial for shorts on there.  Now I just need to purchase the shorts pattern she uses.  I plan on using this latter blog with pattern for my second go around. (fabric from Jo-Ann's)

Next step, sewing a Jon Jon!

p.s.  I used the Circo t-shirt from Target that I had bought last year. However, I'm noticing that the Wal-Mart and Target brands have pockets on their plain t-shirts for boys.  Anyone been able to find another good but inexpensive alternative, without pockets on the shirt??

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! The pocketless t-shirts can be tough to find -- sometimes Old Navy has them, sometimes Target/Wal-Mart. You have to keep your eyes open :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I order Rabbit Skins shirts through Amazon. FYI, they run a little small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there! i found your blog through some auburn friends. :-)
    i usually just use a seam ripper and rip the pockets out of the circo shirts. after they're washed you can't tell that the pockets were there. When I really get creative (and want the lettuce edge for my daughter) I use dharmatrading.com, but I agree that a lot of times they aren't true to size.

    ReplyDelete