Here's what I cooked tonight. I was able to do it while Jackson was eating his dinner of black-eyed pea hummus and also apple/raisin/quinoa baby food puree, with a vegetable Juice Plus emptied capsule in the mix. (Puree courtesy of Plum Baby Ganics)
Everyone has been "pinning" this chicken recipe, and since it was quick and easy and I had all the ingredients on hand, I gave it a try. I cooked mine at 400 degrees (instead of the 450 she suggests) for 35-40 minutes. Note, it's NOT the "world's best chicken" as she claims it to be. This pecan honey mustard chicken is the best chicken recipe I've ever had. Or maybe this easy crockpot chicken. But again, it was a good recipe, but I probably won't repeat it anytime soon.
(Can you tell I'm aggrieved by her obsession with the title "world's best chicken" and that everyone I know has re-pinned it!?)
My new favorite
I've enjoyed quinoa the few times I've cooked with it over the past year. But it's pretty pricey if you buy it from Whole Foods or from Publix. Someone told me that Costco sells a big bag of organic quinoa, and we found it there for a whopping $8.50! Woo hoo!
For those who haven't cooked with quinoa (pronounced "keen-wah"), it's a "highly nutritious gluten-free seed" (so says the packaging), and it's really yummy. Similar texture to couscous, packed with protein, easy to cook. It's best to cook it with chicken stock, I personally think.
Here's the recipe from the back of the bag that I cooked tonight, and my boys just ate.it.up. Loved it! Good way to sneak veggies in too.
Quinoa Summer Salad
2 c vegetable or chicken stock or water
1 c quinoa
4 c combined vegetables or fruit such as: Fresh raw diced or sliced cucumber, tomatoes, stone fruit, peppers, mushrooms, or grapes and/or lightly steamed vegetables such as broccoli or asparagus spears, sliced zucchini, green beans, pea pods, corn kernels, peas, squash or pumpkin dices
1/2 large red onion, minced
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp wine or sherry vinegar
3 1/2 Tbsp EVOO
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 c finely chpd parsley or cilantro
Cook quinoa with broth or water according to directions, allow to cool. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the vegetables, lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss in the cooled quinoa, almonds, and parsley or cilantro, taste, and adjust seasonings. Serve chilled.
My version: I followed the directions, but the only veggies I had ready in the garden were one cucumber and one tomato. I omitted the almonds and parsley because I ran out of time. Still tasted delicious!
Pair with a salad and you have dinner.
Happy Summer Cooking!



No comments:
Post a Comment